Skip to main content

Seasonal Cooking: Fennel, Carrot and Apple Soup

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Earlier this year we made a much anticipated move and our new place includes a beautiful backyard! I had been growing a few things in boxes before and I am excited to expand into real gardening. My old boxes are still going strong, and filled with herbs and strawberries. I have also been growing vegetables and these feathery fronds above are carrots, which represent one of my first successes in growing fresh veggies to be eaten. 

I am also getting fresh produce delivered from Farm Fresh to You to round out my fruit and veggie selection and keep me eating healthy. 

 


Even though we haven't exactly been suffering from very cold weather this fall, the season always gets me in the mood for soup. Also, soup is a great way to take a lot of vegetables and create a meal that can be enjoyed over many nights. This is a good feature for our little household of two, so that we can enjoy all of our vegetables before they are past their prime.

My latest box included fennel and apples, so together with my carrots I created this delicious and seasonal soup to be eaten with a crusty, rustic hunk of bread.

Fennel: Fennel is a good source of vitamin C, dietary fiber, manganese, and folate as well as calcium, magnesium and iron. It can be eaten raw in salads and braised, roasted or grilled in addition to cooking in a soup.

When cooking with fennel, trim the stalks about an inch above the bulb. If grilling, keep the root ends to keep the pieces together. For other cooking methods, trim about a half-inch off of the root ends before cooking.

To slice fennel, stand it on the root end and cut vertically.

Roasted Carrot, Fennel & Apple Soup (from www.yummly.com)

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 lb. carrots (cleaned and cut into 1 inch pieces)
  • 2 medium apples (peeled, cored and cut into 16 wedges)
  • 1 small-medium fennel bulb (white part only, cut into wedges)
  • Olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 tablespoon ginger
  • kosher salt
  • 3.5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
DIRECTIONS:

  1. Preheat oven to 400º F.
  2. Place carrots, apples and fennel onto a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Make sure to coat the pieces evenly. Bake in the oven for 45-60 min. Carrots should still be somewhat firm, but apple and fennel will be soft. 
  3. Remove the carrots, apple and fennel from the oven and put them into a large saucepan along with the oil. Add garlic, ginger and a large pinch of kosher salt to the saucepan. Pour the stock over the vegetables. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 min.
  4. Transfer the contents of the saucepan to a blender in batches and puree it until smooth. Be careful blending hot liquids. Add more stock if you want to get the soup to your desired consistency. 
  5. Garnish ideas: dried cranberries, crumbled goat cheese, walnuts or croutons. 
Serves 4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta