Skip to main content

EVENT: Mixology Monday VII--Goodbye, Summer

August has passed us by and we are now racing through September at breakneck speed. Kids are back in school, the days are getting shorter and there is a barely perceptible shift in the weather as the Southern California heat just slightly begins to toy with the notion of giving in to fall. We won't have to get our sweaters out for a while now, but we can start anticipating that day, at least.

To commemorate the end of summer vacations and trips to the beach, and barbecues and growing things and suffocating heat that demands a refreshing beverage, Paul at The Cocktail Chronicles is hosting edition number seven of Mixology Monday, "Goodbye Summer." Instructions are simple: "just post whatever drink you’ve been enjoying this summer and bid it a fond farewell as we head into the apple cider and hot toddy season."

Now part of the deal at my place is that I am the cook and J. is the bartender. I let him eat the food I make and he makes me wonderful cocktails to ease the stress of my day. This is not entirely fair, since he is a very good cook as well and makes us good food sometimes too. I don't generally make cocktails. But I bring home wine, so I guess it evens out. Probably not. But what this means is that I cheated on this event. I did not make a cocktail. Instead I had one made for me. Several times. But it was really good and it was definitely a summer favorite for me and therefore I think it deserves to be featured on the internets.

Therefore, I now introduce you to J.'s summer drink, a variation on an adaptation of "The Cool Cucumber" by Shell Thomas for Bong Su Restaurant & Lounge. Therefore, I will dub it "The Coolest Cucumber."



You can find the original adaptation, plus an interesting article, here: The 411 on a Cool Cucumber.

To transform it into the Coolest Cucumber, you would use blood orange juice instead of regular
orange juice, an extra splash of campari, and NO simple syrup (since it doesn't seem to need any extra sweetness).

This becomes a classic summer drink ... the cooling effect of cucumber, with its crisp, green flavor melds with the subtle sweetness of the orange juice, which is kept from being too sweet by the bitter Campari, which also intensifies the citrus without letting it overpower the cucumber.


Every time I drink it I wish for a wide lawn with a stand of shade trees and a breeze so that I could sit outside on a sunny day, preferably curled on a cushiony seat underneath that stand of shade trees and sip as I relax and contemplate my life of leisure. Of course, then I snap out of it and find myself in my familiar, dog-hair covered living room, with my cokehead neighbor yelling obscenities on the phone to his girlfriend and only a few short hours before I go to bed, get up again and trudge my way to work, to try once to figure out how to fit 673,284 "To Do" list items into 8 hours without spraining my brain permanently.


Comments

Unknown said…
Girl, here is all you need for a good cocktail.
Pom
Blueberry Stoli
Sprite

Heaven in a glass. Blueberry Stoli and cream soda also rock quite a bit.
KT said…
Wow ... that actually sounds really good. Although I think I would have to do soda instead of Sprite.

Blueberry and cream soda ... that sounds YUM.

The thing is ... my home bartender also infuses his own vodkas and we've got a bottle of lemongrass ginger vodka in the fridge. And then coming up next is vanilla bourbon. It may be a while before I need to go purchase my own alcohol!

I love my bartender.

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

RECIPE: Serious Eats' Foolproof Pan Pizza

It was love at first sight ... the second I saw J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's Foolproof Pan Pizza recipe ,I was twitterpated. I was definitely going to try to make this and see if it was really proof against this fool. Overall, I think I'm a pretty good cook, but when it comes to trying out new recipes, usually if there's a way I can totally mess it up, I will. Even if I get the actual process right, chances are I'll do something like try to check if the bottom's cooked while the pie is still in the pan and dump the pie all over the kitchen. :( (True story). Well, happy to say Mr. L-A has done it again. You could do worse than compile all his recipes and just use them as your cookbook. He takes a thorough and scientific approach to cooking but also has a way of translating it all for the casual home cook. The recipe was seriously easy - there is a lot of waiting time but very little active effort to expend. It's pretty much just mix the dough, let it rise, mak

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a