Skip to main content

INFO+RECIPE: Isaac Brock: Rock Musician, Chef

MODEST MOUSE
Modest Mouse is not my favorite band. It is one of those bands that everyone around me loves and I am overwhelmingly indifferent to. I can think of one song of theirs that I like.

I saw them live one time and came away with the impression that I like the music, the vocals just leave a lot to be desired.

That vocalist is Isaac Brock. Isaac Brock has never come off as a nice person to me, when reading his interviews about music. I'd basically written him off as a bad vocalist, and arrogant twat.

Then, I read an interview with him in the Believer. The interview was not about music, it was about food, and cooking. And I was shocked. It was like I was reading about a whole different person. A
person I liked and wanted to know. A person like me.

I discovered that he was born a mere two days before me. If astrology has anything to say about it, then he probably IS a person like me. Not quite the same ... that two days makes a difference to the stars--things move around a bit in that time--but someone very similar. I will say that I think I could sing as well as he does. Cooking, he's probably better than me at. Here's what I learned:

Like me, Mr. Brock believes that when baking you should always follow a recipe, but when cooking, you don't need to. Where we differ is that he can just go into a store, look around, and decide what he wants to cook based on what he sees in the store. If I do this, I always cook the same three things: sauted chicked "with other stuff," pasta "with other stuff," or a sandwich "with stuff on it." I like to use recipes as guidelines to give me ideas to start with, and then I can adapt from there. One sandwich may turn into a completely different sandwich, a soup may turn into a guacamole. You just never know, but getting the germ of the idea helps with variety for me.

Mr. Brock's mother was a head chef and he worked the line at her restaurant, so cooking always surrounded him, growing up.

He also talked about how if something doesn't feel right, or the house feels empty or lonely, he just cooks onions, and the scent of cooking onions changes everything. It makes it feel like people live in the house and it's busy. It was also something his mother did, if people had had a bad day, she would start cooking onions and the scent would make everything better. I understand that ... cooking smells mean that your home is functional. It means that someone who lives there cares enough to prepare food for themself and for the others who live there, rather than just letting everyone fend for themselves, or order in or eat out all the time.

For me, it's banana bread. One of the few things that I've always known how to make is banana bread, and whenever I was left at home alone for a few days, I would make banana bread, because that warm baking smell means, like he said, that someone is home and is doing something, even if that someone is just yourself, the smell means "being taken care of." And with the banana bread, then, the smell comes back every time you toast yourself a hunk of it.

I haven't made banana bread in a long time. I would need a recipe now, if I made it.

So now I have a different picture of Isaac Brock. The way he talks about his childhood based around cooking is far different from the overall story his youth tells, a story of moving around in religious circles, of his mom leaving his dad for his uncle, of his mom moving into a trailer and himself staying in the second floor of their flooded home until evicted by police. Then living in friends' basements until finally settling in a shed next to his mom's trailer.

He talks so differently about food than he does about music. My picture of the guy who loves to cook for his family and who cares deeply about his kitchen and wishes for his own little junk shop to just sell items he loves that has a bar with six seats and a restaurant where the only options are "vegetarian" or "non-vegetarian," is a picture of a guy I like, compared to the interviews in music magazines where the interviewer is drunk and Isaac is drunk and they both seem like a couple of assholes. It's nice to see him having a serious, sober conversation with someone who cares about what they are doing--conveying a story.

As he was interviewed, Mr. Brock made tilapia, one of my favorite fishes to cook, garbage fish or no. To me the lack of "fishy" flavor means that you can inject whatever flavors you want into it. And it's a super good fryer. But here is Isaac Brock's tilapia recipe:

TILAPIA SIMMERED IN COCONUT CUMIN SAUCE

In a shallow saucepan, cook a handful of garlic cloves in olive oil over low heat until soft. Pour in 1 can whole coconut milk, stir and let simmer. As the coconut oils separate, add approx. 1 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut. Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring often until sauce thickens. Add salt to taste.

Gently lay tilapia filets into the pool of sauce, add a dash of cumin and let simmer for 15-20 minutes. (Due to the flaky consistency of tilapia, halibut cheeks--which are firmer in textrure and therefore hold together--may be substituted.)

CABBAGE CRUNCH

In a shallow pan, roast 2 cups whole almonds in 2 Tbsp. sesame oil over low-medium heat.

Add red cabbage, garlic, green onion, Sri Racha chili sauce and Bragg's Amino Acids to taste in large Cuisinart.

Once almonds are through roasting, remove from heat and add to Cuisinart.

Dice well.

CUMIN BLACK BEANS

Add 2 cans organic black beans with juices to medium saucepan, cook over low-medium heat.

Add approx. 2 Tbsp. cumin, a dash of Old Bay Seasoning, and a handful of diced, fresh cilantro.

Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring consistently.

COCONUT CUMIN RICE

Add 1 can whole coconut milk to 1 cup white rice, stir. As rice absorps coconut milk, add 1 Tbsp. cumin.

Once all components are prepared, dish even portions onto plates, serve hot.

Serves 4-6.


Comments

Very cool. And, I didn't have to stare cross-eyed at my computer screen to witness the transformation.

I think this is a really great post. I learned a long time ago, that if you get to REALLY know even the most fantastic a**hole, you will eventually stumble across something, some part of their being, that completely changes your perception of them and you find a connection. What's really frightening is when that total a**hole become someone you admire.

I'm not implying that Isaac is the aforementioned a**. I'm not familiar with Modest Mouse. Being a legal type, you will understand the need for my disclaimer.

It seems to me that somebody who came through such childhood adventures as Isaac would be a better lyric writer. Pained people are usually more adept with words.

Thanks for the post.
KT said…
Oh yay! You came back! I'm glad I kept my promise.

I imagine that his lyrics are quite good. It's the sound of the voice that is unfortunate to me. I have seen scads of internet things where people have endless discussions about the lyrics of the band, so there's probably something there.

I am very glad I read this particular interview, because, while reading it, I couldn't remember why I thought this guy was such a jerk, and then a quick scour of the internet before writing this post, and I noticed how very many of the interviews took place in bars and/or involved states of drunkenness. It seems to me that he's merely guilty of being a bad drunk, which is its own problem, but is very different than just being a butt in general.

Glad you liked the post!
Anyanka said…
Hmmm. Weirdly, that does nothing to absolve my picture of Brock as a jerk. It's kind of like the [i]Crash[/i] phenomeon: just because you saved a woman from a burning car doesn't absolve you of sexually molesting her. Atonement is a weird thing, but you definitely have to mean it.

Anyway...I don't like bananas, but banana bread, especially toasted, which I have never tried -- sounds good!
KT said…
I guess I don't think of it so much as atonement, as more, there's a lot I didn't know about him and it makes him seem different in my eyes.

There's something else that may account for the lingering bad feeling of us both, but I'm not going to bring it up here. It's bad laundry.

Toasted banana bread, with butter, is one of the best things I have ever, ever eaten.

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta