Skip to main content

INFO: Tilapia 101


Tilapia is an herbivorous fish that is native to Africa. It's a hardy fish and can live in fresh or brackish water. Several different species and hybrids are sold under the name tilapia. Although they are freshwater fish, tilapia produce TMAO, a substance generally only produced by saltwater fish, which breaks down to produce the "fishy" smell, so this type of fish will be more "fishy" than freshwater fish normally are.

Be careful when cooking this fish because it is one of the fish that's prone to "mushiness." This means that if it's slow cooked to a lower temperature, protein digesting enzymes in the muscle cells will become increasingly active during the cooking process until 130-140 degrees F is reached, at which point they inactivate, and the texture of the fish will be rendered unpleasantly mushy. It is best to either cook quickly to 160-170 degrees F or cook quickly to a lower temperature and serve immediately.

Tilapia is one of the types of fish least likely to accumulate mercury and other toxins because of its small size and short life, so it's a good purchase if you like fish but are worried about mercury. Just try to make sure the fish you are purchasing are from the open ocean (but not near a large coastal city) or from a farm with a controlled water supply. I buy fish from Whole Foods and at least at the one I go to, they will tell you where the fish is from and they also have a little sign telling you what country it comes from.

I have already experimented with breading and frying the fish for fish and chips and it worked out really well because the fillet is so small. It came out nice and crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside.

Next I am making a spicy version and will post up the recipe afterwards.

Comments

G said…
GREAT right up on Tilapia. Very educational and I love that.
Jeremy said…
My father-in-law, who as you may know comes from Hawaii, refers to Tilapia as "garbage fish." He won't eat it and thinks it's pretty funny that it's so "all the rage" right now.
Milla said…
i love that you wrote up tilapia cus i eat that "garbage" all the time and it's tasty cus it'll assume the flavor of anything else you are cooking with it, its flavor is so mild.

i generally put my fillet over a green salad to keep it healthy. i'll saute red onions, mushrooms, cut up a tomato and maybe a sprinkling of corn, olives and goat cheese and mix with a homemade dressing of balsamic vinegar and olive oil. tasty indeed, though i'll try your recipe above. i think Cha-Cha-Cha sells a similar version to yours.
KT said…
That's what my mom used to say about catfish, because it was a bottom feeder. I still can't quite bring myself to eat it, even though some of those fried catfish dishes look pretty delicious. I just can't stop myself from imagining the fish sliming along eating all the goop and sludge off of the riverbed. Ick!

I love tilapia though, because it's so light and manageable. That corn, goat cheese, olive thing sounds YUM. Anything with goat cheese and olives is all right by me, although I will skip the tomatoes.
Unknown said…
Try tilapia for fish tacos. You need 1 box of tempura batter, tilapia fillets, and some panko bread crumbs. Put half of the tempura on a plate, the other half in a bowl. To the tempura in the bowl, add ice water ( very important that the water actually be ICED ) until the batter gets the consistancy of pancake batter ( not too runny, not too thick ). Then, run the fillets through the dry tempura, then the wet, and finish with the panko. Deep fry, and viola!! I like to top mine with Crema and pico de gallo.

Popular posts from this blog

NEWS: Angeleno Magazine's Chef's Night Out

Brad A. Johnson of Angeleno magazine, and The Tasting Panel 's Anthony Dias Blue are co-hosting the annual Chef's Night Out and Restaurant Awards to honor local chefs and resterauteurs and to celebrate the release of Angeleno 's food issue. The dinner benefits the Children's Institute, an organization that works with children and families affected by violence, abuse, and trauma. Tickets are $150 for the event (food from the featured chefs with wine and spirits pairings), and $250 for VIP tickets which includes access to a special reception and the awards ceremony. The event will be held at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows this Sunday, July 26. The chefs at the event include: David Myers from Sona, Comme Ça and Pizza Ortica Lee Hefter and Thomas Boyce from Spago Lee Hefter and Ari Rosenson from Cut Susan Feniger from Street Anthony Zappola from Craft Brian Moyers from BLT Steak Ray Garcia from FIG Restaurant Santa Monica Warren Schwartz from Westside Tavern Evan

ABOUT THIS BLOG

I've been evaluating my blog and have realized that, while I have lots of nifty posts, I don't really have a good overall explanation of what exactly this blog is all about, and what one can expect to find here. So I'm creating this post and will link to it in the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I am not a professional chef. I have not been cooking for years. I am not an expert who is going to make beautiful and amazing and complicated dishes to "wow" you. I am, in fact, quite the opposite. I am a total beginner. I've always lived in places with miniscule kitchens and concerned myself with schoolwork and studying and working and not paid the least bit of attention to what I was eating every day. And that's what this blog is all about. It's about me learning where my food comes from, how to make it properly, and how to enjoy it to the utmost. It's no fun to learn by myself, so I started the blog to keep track of what I learn, kind of like a

RESTAURANT: Ristorante Belvedere, Monterosso al Mare, Italy

We started off our second-to-last day in the Cinque Terre by taking the train to Vernazza for breakfast: There was supposed to be a market that day, but since the weather was threatening, there were only a few meager stalls, mostly selling non-food items. We had our breakfast and walked around the village a bit. Vernazza used to have a river flowing all the way through it, but now the river has been shunted underground at a certain point. If you walk to the top of town you can see it, along with some ducks and geese that hang out there to get fed by whoever comes along. J. and I then went to sit and have an espresso and wait for the train to Corniglia, the only town we hadn't yet visited. Corniglia is home to the local nude beach (which we skipped) and is the highest of the towns, elevation-wise. We had to walk up a buttload of steps to get there. Look at me go: That's actually me going down (a lot faster than I came up), but I did come up them as well. There is a bus that ta